Here at Ocean Plaza Resort HQ we can hardly believe it’s November already – Christmas time and summer school holidays are just around the corner! Spring has really kicked into high gear and we’re experiencing some beautiful summery days here on the beaches of Coolangatta.
Are you trudging toward the end of the year in need of a well-earned break? Book your mid-week beach escape now to secure our fantastic December accommodation deal. Between 1 and 18 December we’re offering one night accommodation for free! If you stay five nights in a two bedroom fully self-contained apartment between Sunday night and Friday morning you’ll pay for just four nights ($795).
Ocean Plaza Resort is superbly located in the heart of Coolangatta and offers beachfront accommodation, sweeping ocean views and luxurious self-contained one, two and three bedroom suites. Experience living at the beach with us – book now for December to beat the school holiday rush!
Five tips to stay safe at the beach this summer
Our gorgeous, huge stretches of white sandy beaches at Kirra, Greenmount, Rainbow Bay and Duranbah attract thousands of visitors from all over the world each year. If you’re heading to the beach this summer (and the Coolangatta beaches are so inviting we don’t know why you wouldn’t!) remember to stay safe and follow this simple advice from Surf Life Saving Australia and the Cancer Council:
- Swim between the red and yellow flags. The ocean can be dangerous to inexperienced (and even experienced) swimmers with rips and unseen undercurrents. Stay between the flags to keep in sight of lifeguards.
- Slip, slop, slap! Every Australian kid in the 80s grew up with this sun smart campaign with Sid the seagull asking us to slip on a shirt, slop on sunscreen and slap on a hat. If you’re a visitor to Australia you may not realise how harsh the sun is – you can burn quickly even on a cloudy day. So when you head to the beach make sure you’ve protected yourself from the sun by: slip, slop, slapping and seeking shade and sliding on sunglasses.
- In the southern Gold Coast oceans you’re likely to come across non-tropical stingers from time to time – the bluebottle and hair jelly are common. If you do get stung by a non-tropical stinger don’t be tempted to pour vinegar on it – that only works for tropical stingers. See a lifeguard for first aid help and read up on how to treat non-tropical stingers before you head to the beach!
- Stay with friends. It’s always a good idea to go swimming accompanied so you can look out for each other. Tell someone else where you’re going too!
- Read the signs and stay alert. Before you go swimming read safety signs and be aware of your surroundings.
What’s on this month in Coolangatta and on the Gold Coast?
The Strand at Coolangatta offering the best in beachside entertainment
The redevelopment of The Strand at Coolangatta – a shopping, dining and entertaining centre connected to Ocean Plaza Resort is now open. And exciting new retailers are joining every day – chocolate lovers will be delighted at the news Max Brenner will open their doors on Thursday 13 November. Now tempting chocolate delights are just steps from your room at Ocean Plaza Resort! If you go to The Strand’s website you can enter to win a $50 Max Brenner gift voucher.
Coolangatta film festivals
Surf and sport film buffs are spoilt for choice this month with three film festivals on in Coolangatta. Check out:
- TV Surf Film Festival – 7pm, 28 November at Sunhouse, 41 McLean St Coolangatta.
- TiLT 2014 Film Festival – on at Event Cinemas from 24 November to 30 November across the state. The Coolangatta Event Cinema attached to Ocean Plaza Resort is showing On Any Sunday: The Next Chapter on 29 November at 7pm.
- 12th Australian Surf Movie Festival 7pm, 4 December at Twin Towns or 7pm, 5 December at the Coolangatta Event Cinema attached to Ocean Plaza Resort.
Run faster than an emu with the Zoo Run at Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary
Lace up your running shoes for a 5km or 2km fun run event through the Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary. The Zoo Run raises funds for wildlife conservation and if you’re running your entry to the park is free! The event is on 23 November.
Go to France without leaving the Gold Coast
Immerse yourself in the wonders and delights of France at the Bonjour French Festival. Sample French produce, experience contemporary street culture, be entertained by live performances, check out French cars and bring the kids for some arts and crafts fun. At the Evandale Parklands, 23 November. Entry is free!
Secure your summer holiday now
We’re one of the only Gold Coast apartments that can boast stunning ocean views from every room. Live by the sea this summer in our beautiful self-contained one, two and three bedroom apartments.
Each spacious apartment features quality furnishings and fittings including a large kitchen, full size bathroom with shower and tub, internal laundry, air conditioning, and cable TV.
We have a huge range of on-site facilities to keep you entertained including a heated pool and spa with a BBQ area that overlooks the beach, golf driving range and gym with all new equipment that looks onto the two tennis courts. All this, just steps away from the best beaches of the Southern Gold Coast. Book now using the form on the right or call us on (07) 5536 9999!